Tuesday, August 25, 2015

First Pomegranate Pruning

In the time that has passed since my last post about my pomegranate seedling (about a week), it has grown another two inches in height, bringing it to a full foot tall! This means that it is time for me to prune it back to six inches.

The reason I want to prune my pomegranate while it is still so young is so that I can keep it small. Pomegranates are very forgiving when it comes to pruning and shaping, and I plan to take advantage of that. I don't have a lot of room for large fruit trees; my one avocado is large enough! Right now my pomegranate is in a 4-inch pot, and I intend to keep it in that little pot for as long as I can.

Here are a couple photos of it, with a ruler for scale:

   

Here you can get another view of the growth pattern of its leaves. They grow in pairs, on opposite sides of the stem.


A part of me doesn't want to cut it down, because it's worked so hard to get to the height that it is now. But on the other hand, I have to remind myself that pruning is essential if I want to keep this little guy healthy in such a small pot. Plus it'll be exciting once the branches start growing.

And here we go! She's already much sturdier.


Now what to do with the part I cut off? I may just stick it in my nursery pot and see what happens. I'm not sure if pomegranates will grow roots from a stem like that but it's worth it to experiment!

I'll post again in a few weeks once she's begun to grow her branches.

Until next time,

- Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment