Friday, March 31, 2017

Growing Red Onions From Scraps




I picked up some red onions that had sprouted from the kitchen at my internship because I would rather grow them than see them sit there and rot and eventually get thrown away. It is my namesake, after all! 

Here I am holding one of them in my kitchen. It's skinny right now because I peeled off all the fleshy layers and ate them! This is actually a few days since I snatched it up, so its roots have been growing like crazy. I've had it sitting in a cup with some damp paper towels.

The paper towel in a cup thing is what I did to transport it from my internship, through a busy day of classes, and back home. I would have put it in plain water if there wasn't a risk of me spilling it all over. Plus I imagine having a substrate help keep things aerated down there. 

What do I plan to do with this onion? 

Well, it turns out that if I plant it, I can grow a whole new onion! All I have to do is split the sets apart like in the next photo, pop them in some dirt, and follow the same water and sunlight regimen as if I had bought sets from the garden store! 




Because I don't have a lot of space, I may or may not grow them myself. I'll probably end up planting them at the garden I intern for. They have Egyptian walking onions there, but I don't think they have any reds. And they are all about biodiversity! 

That's all I've got to show with the onions for now! If you have and questions or comments feel free to comment below. 

Until next time, 

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment